Water damage is one of the most expensive and frustrating issues you can have in your home. In fact, according to the Insurance Information Institute, billions are spent on addressing water damage around the country every year. Not only does it get worse over time, but once water seeps into certain parts of your house, it can be incredibly difficult to remove or even control. This is why prevention is the far better alternative for this issue.
This article will detail several tips on how you can prevent water damage in your home. When it comes to shielding your home’s gutters from water damage, our LeafLock gutter protection system is your top choice. Learn more below.
Protect Your Basement
There are three common causes of water seepage in the basement. This may lead to molds and further degradation of your home’s structure. In worse cases, it can also lead to flooding.
- Cracks may form in the concrete floors and foundations of your home. When heavy rain hits, water may seep into these cracks and enter your basement. Reseal the cracks and keep water from seeping in.
- When water accumulates inside of your home, it may worsen any existing problem. Make sure there is a path for the water that leads away from the building.
- In rare cases, issues in your sewer line may cause liquid to seep into your home. Pay attention to your sewer responsibilities and prevent causing more damage.
Protect Your Exterior
The exterior of most homes is made up of three integral components – the roof, the walls, and the gutters. Damaged exteriors is one of the most common causes of water entering the home.
- Check on your roof from time to time, especially before storm season. Replace any damaged shingles. Droplets forming on your ceiling is an indication that your roof may need maintenance.
- The exterior walls of your home also need repainting and repair if you notice damage. This can often be spotted with discoloration. Seal cracks and make sure to use good quality waterproof paint.
- Buildup in the gutter system of your home may lead to damage. This can later result in water seepage into your walls. Our LeafLock system prevents dirt, leaves, and other debris from entering and getting stuck in your gutters, effectively extending their longevity and protecting your home from water and other damages.
Protect Your Pipes
When too much pressure builds up in your home’s water pipes, cracks and leaks may occur. To prevent this, make sure that everything connected to the water lines is regularly checked. This includes appliances, faucets, showers, tubs, and other fixtures.
If you’re stepping out of the house, don’t leave your washing machine running. If you’re going on a long trip, make sure to cut the water supply to this appliance completely.
Get familiar with your water system and remember where and how to turn the valve off.
If you have access to both your water and heating pipes, make sure that you check for cracks and other damages. These are the kinds of problems that will eventually get worse, more expensive, and potentially dangerous when left unattended.
Water damage is a serious problem and one that is entirely avoidable. Follow these tips and prevent water from entering your home and causing expensive structural issues.
If you have problems with your gutter system or you’d just like to know more general house maintenance tips, feel free to call us at 877-594-744 or visit our Contact page.